The following are our five core values as an organisation, and we expect that all stakeholders who are part of or are involved in our work endeavour to uphold these values.
Honesty and Integrity
- Always tell the truth, even when it's difficult or uncomfortable.
- Admit mistakes and take responsibility for them.
- Demonstrate reliability by following through on commitments and promises.
- Avoid conflicts of interest or unethical behaviour.
- Set and achieve high standards for oneself and others: strive to maintain the prestige and legacy of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation.
- Continuously strive for improvement and innovation.
- Take initiative and go above and beyond what is expected.
- Pay attention to details and produce high-quality work.
- Seek feedback and learn from mistakes.
- Listen actively and attentively to others, without judgment.
- Show respect and consideration for others' feelings and perspectives.
- Respond with kindness, patience and understanding.
- Put oneself in others' shoes and try to understand their experiences.
- Demonstrate care and proactively offer support or assistance.
- Pause to consider multiple perspectives and viewpoints.
- Challenge/suspend assumptions and seek diverse opinions.
- Cultivate the courage to find a third way.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Learn from mistakes and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Value diversity and seek out opportunities to learn from others who have different perspectives and experiences.
- Avoid making assumptions or stereotyping others and avoid interrupting or dismissing their opinions.
- Treat others fairly and consistently, without showing favoritism or discrimination.
- Practice Ubuntu by acknowledging everyone’s fundamental humanity and dignity.
- Use inclusive language and avoid language or behaviors that could be seen as derogatory or disrespectful.
- Provide feedback constructively and respectfully, focusing on specific behaviors or actions rather than personal characteristics.